Howard University strips Diddy of his honorary degree

The board of trustees of Howard University, a historically black university in Washington, D.C., has taken steps to strip Sean “Diddy” Combs of his honorary degree.

The announcement comes after CNN published CCTV video of the hip-hop producer punching an ex-girlfriend in a hotel hallway.

In a statement Friday, the university said his “behavior as captured in a recently released video is so fundamentally inconsistent with the core values ​​and beliefs of Howard University that he is no longer considered worthy of holding the highest honor.” of the institution”.

The rapper apologized after the video was released last month for the attack on singer Cassandra “Cassie” Ventura.

“I was disgusted when I did it. I’m disgusted now,” Combs said in his statement.

“I went and sought professional help. I started going to therapy, to rehab. I had to ask God for his mercy and grace. I’m so sorry.”

Howard University awarded the degree to Combs in 2014. It said in its statement that it would also end a scholarship in his name and terminate a 2016 “gift agreement” with the rapper.

That deal was a $1 million (£785,000) donation he made through his foundation.

The Sean Combs Foundation did not respond to a request for comment.

The university statement said Mr. Combs’ name would be removed from all documents listing honorary degree recipients.

“The University is unwavering in its opposition to all acts of interpersonal violence,” the statement said.

Four women, including his former long-term partner, Ms. Ventura, have filed lawsuits against the musician, accusing him of physical and sexual abuse.

Ventura’s lawsuit was settled in November and Combs has denied all allegations of sexual assault.

In a statement issued last December, Combs defended himself against what he described as “disgusting accusations” made by “individuals looking for a quick payday.”

“Let me be absolutely clear: I did not do any of the horrible things that are alleged,” he said, adding that he would fight to clear his name.

In March, federal agents raided two homes owned by the star “as part of an ongoing investigation” into sex trafficking.

His lawyer called the action an “unprecedented ambush” and “excessive abuse of force at the military level,” and maintained his client’s innocence.

Leave a Comment