Israel says bodies of three captives killed on October 7 recovered in Gaza | Israel’s war against Gaza News

The military says it has recovered the bodies of Itzhak Gelerenter, Amit Buskila and Shani Louk, who were killed at the Nova music festival.

The Israeli military says the bodies of three captives who died during the October 7 attacks by Palestinian groups in southern Israel have been recovered from the Gaza Strip.

Military spokesman Daniel Hagari said in a statement Friday that the bodies of Itzhak Gelerenter, Amit Buskila and Shani Louk were found during an operation by the army and the country’s internal security service, Shin Bet.

Hagari said the three “were killed by Hamas while fleeing the Nova music festival” on October 7 and “their bodies were taken to Gaza.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised the operation and offered his condolences to the families.

“We will return all our hostages, both the living and the deceased,” he said. “I congratulate our brave forces whose determined action has returned the sons and daughters to their own border.”

The announcement was made as Israel continues to bomb Gaza, where its military offensive has killed more than 35,000 Palestinians and sparked a dire humanitarian crisis in the besieged enclave.

More than 1,100 people were killed in Hamas attacks on October 7, while 253 were captured. Israeli envoy to the United Nations Gilad Erdan told a UN Security Council meeting on Thursday that 132 captives remained in Gaza.

Last week, Hamas’s armed wing, the Qassam Brigades, released a video announcing the death of British-Israeli captive Nadav Popplewell. The group said Popplewell had died from wounds sustained in an Israeli airstrike a month ago.

The video was released amid growing internal pressure on the Israeli government to secure the release of the remaining captives.

Thousands of Israelis, including family members and other loved ones of those still detained in Gaza, have taken to the streets in recent days to demand that Netanyahu do more to free them.

Many have also called on Israel to accept a ceasefire so that their families can return safely.

Al Jazeera’s Imran Khan, reporting from Amman, Jordan, on Friday, said an advocacy group working on behalf of the captives’ families would likely not be satisfied with Netanyahu’s statement about the recovery of the three’s bodies. captives.

Al Jazeera reports from outside Israel because it has been banned by the Israeli government.

The Bring Them Home campaign has said Netanyahu “hasn’t done enough to try to get people out,” Khan said.

“Expect to see people on the streets in the next few hours. “We have seen these spontaneous protests in the past.”

Naama Weinberg, whose cousin Itai Svirsky was kidnapped on October 7 and is believed to have been killed in captivity, last week urged the Israeli government to take urgent action.

“Soon, even those who managed to survive this long will no longer be among the living. We have to save them now,” Weinberg said.

“There is no victory and there can be no victory without the return of the hostages.”

Despite immense pressure, Netanyahu’s government this month rejected a ceasefire proposal that Hamas had accepted.

Leave a Comment