photo by CNN

President Donald Trump has set off a political and legal showdown by moving to cancel $4.9 billion in foreign aid that Congress had already approved — using a rarely deployed maneuver not seen in nearly half a century.

In a letter to lawmakers Thursday, Trump said he would slash funding from the State Department, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), and other international programs. The cuts include:

  • $3.2 billion from USAID development assistance
  • $393 million from State Department peacekeeping activities
  • $322 million from the State Department’s Democracy Fund
  • $444 million+ from other peacekeeping aid

The move relies on a little‑used provision of the Impoundment Control Act known as a “pocket rescission.” If Congress doesn’t act within 45 days, the money — sent to Capitol Hill just weeks before the fiscal year ends — would effectively vanish without a vote.

A First in Nearly 50 Years

Secretary of State Marco Rubio defended the decision, calling it a strike against “woke and weaponized” foreign aid that clashed with Trump’s “America First” agenda. “For the first time in nearly 50 years, the President is using his authority… to deploy a pocket rescission,” Rubio said.

But critics — including Democrats and some Republicans — say the move is flat‑out illegal.

Bipartisan Pushback

Rep. Rosa DeLauro, the top Democrat on the House Appropriations Committee, accused Trump of “stealing” money Congress had already allocated. “They are just in such violation of the law,” she told CNN, vowing to push for new limits on presidential spending powers in upcoming budget talks.

Sen. Susan Collins, the Republican chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee, also blasted the move, citing a Government Accountability Office ruling that pocket rescissions are unlawful. “Any effort to rescind appropriated funds without congressional approval is a clear violation of the law,” she said.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer called it “further proof” that Trump and GOP leaders are “hellbent on rejecting bipartisanship and going it alone this fall.”

Shutdown Stakes

The timing adds fuel to an already tense budget season. Congress must pass new funding by September 30 to avoid a partial government shutdown. Democrats warn the rescission fight could derail negotiations.

The White House insists it’s on “firm legal ground” and is pushing for a “clean” short‑term funding bill — betting Democrats will take the blame if talks collapse.

A Rare Presidential Tool

The last time a president used a pocket rescission was Jimmy Carter in 1977. Trump’s proposal marks his second attempt to claw back money Congress had already approved, part of a broader strategy by his budget chief, Russell Vought, to expand presidential control over federal spending — a strategy that has repeatedly drawn legal challenges.

If Congress doesn’t pass legislation to block the cuts within the 45‑day window, the aid will be gone — setting the stage for a fierce court battle that could redefine the limits of presidential budget power.

Share this article: